Thursday, November 15, 2007

What's Wee Up To This Month? Installment Five

Month Five -- Weeks 17-20

Size -- Wee transitions from fruit-sized to vegetable-sized and then back to fruit-sized this month as (s)he goes from pear to avocado to baking potato to watermelon slice.

Development -- Wee's cartilage will harden to bone this month (which is why Wee encourages me to eat so much cheese!). Of course, eating all that cheese will also be useful as Wee starts collecting some fat -- that's my baby!! Gonna be a fat, fat baby. By the end of the month, the bones and nerve endings in Wee's ears will be developed enough for Wee to hear my voice and heartbeat, which means Wee will be able to hear your voices, too, but that's no reason to bend down and address my stomach when you have something to say since I can't promise that my kickboxing training won't make itself known. Another reason not to get too close to my stomach with your face is that Wee might try to kick you him/herself, but I won't feel Wee's kicks for another few weeks. Also, Wee grows some vocal cords this month but won't be making any use of them until there's some air available. Wee's brain might be the busiest part of Wee this month as it develops millions of motor neurons.

Appearance -- Wee will be growing finger/toenails this month and already has a fully formed nose (hopefully Wee is not a prenatal nose-picker). If you do disregard my advice from above and choose to bend down and talk to my belly, I will instruct Wee to raise his/her eyebrows in disapproval since (s)he will be able to do that soon. Overall, Wee probably looks pretty well rested this month since (s)he is sleeping 18 hours per day. Again -- that's my baby!!

Stay tuned! This month we'll find out if Wee is a He Wee or a She Wee -- ultrasound on December 21.


Rachel's belly at 16 weeks


No comments:

Post a Comment