Friday, December 2, 2011

Why?

At 3 1/2 years old, Harrison is in full-blown "Why?" mode.  Some of his best (unanswerable) "Why?" questions include...
  • Why is it Tuesday?
  • Why am I wearing socks?
  • Why am I hungry?
  • Why is it raining?
  • Why is that a shark?
  • If we have ear drums, why do we not have kneecap guitars or foot drums?
I do try to answer these, but the psychological rule that a person cannot ask the same question more than 3 times is just untrue with preschoolers, and eventually he wears me down.  Sample discussions resulting from these "Why?" questions include...
  • "Why is it Tuesday?"  "Because yesterday was Monday."  "Why was yesterday Monday?"  "Because the day before that was Sunday."  "Why is today not Friday?"  "Because we still have to do today and Wednesday and Thursday before we get to Friday?"  "Why?"  "Because whoever designed a 7-day week and named the days decided it would be like that."  "Why?"  "I don't know."
  • "Why am I wearing socks?"  "Because you put them on."  "Why did I do that?"  "Because you want to go outside, so you put your socks on to get ready to put your shoes on."  "Why do I want to go outside?"  "Because there is alot to do outside."  "Why is there alot to do outside?"  "I don't know."
  • "Why am I hungry?"  "Because you need to eat some food."  "Why do I need to eat some food?"  "Because you used up all of your food energy by playing so hard."  "Why did I do that?"  "Because it is fun to play hard."  "Why is it fun to play hard?"  "I don't know."
  • "Why is it raining?"  Didn't even begin with talking about clouds and weather patterns for this one, just jumped right to "I don't know."  See me getting smarter?
  • "Why is that a shark?"  "I don't know."
  • "If we have ear drums, why do we not have kneecap guitars or foot drums?"  "I don't know."

No comments:

Post a Comment