Monday, August 22, 2011

Books, Harrison's Love Of

Harrison loves books. Always has. Chris and I and even our regular babysitters have most of the books in our kid library memorized from all the times we've read them to Harrison. And I will compliment the adults on not having "lost" any of the midly annoying volumes (I'm looking at you, "Three Little Kittens") -- good on us!

Anyway, now that Harrison is a mature reader and has earned "real" books with paper pages, we talk alot about respecting books. To clarify : Harrison talks alot to Hewitt about respecting books. :) "Hewie -- Do not eat that book! You must respect books!" Last week when we were at the library, Harrison found a book he wanted to check out and was sad to see that the binding was tearing off. He came running over to me to say, "Mama! Someone did not respek 'dis book!" :) I love that boy! So we checked it out and took it home to tape it up.

Three Little Kittens (in case you were wondering -- and yes, this is from memory...)

Three little kittens.

They lost their mittens,

And they began to cry,
"Oh, Mother, dear...

We sadly fear...

That we have lost our mittens."


It doesn't even rhyme! Perhaps this story is written in a poetic form that is too advanced for me to recognize, but as a proletariat reader, I just don't like it. Also, what kind of a lesson is that for kids to learn? Mother just starts knitting them new mittens as if it's okay to lose your mittens in the snow! Not this Mother, dear! Why, when I was a kid (growing up in Florida), I didn't have any mittens! You kids need to take responsibility for yourselves -- go do some chores or get a job and replace those mittens you so carelessly left in your snowman. I do not preach forgiveness. Oh, wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment