Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bedtime With Harrison

Bedtimes with Harrison have been so fun the past few nights. He's a real chatter right now and can just talk and talk and talk! His diatribes are very stream-of-conscious, and although I can usually follow how he got from one topic to the next, there are a few times when his train of thought completely derails and jumps to another track. :) So, given that, I will now do my best to recap tonight's informative discussions (which took place with Harrison in his bed and Mama sitting beside the bed, holding hands while he told me everything on his mind)...

(Note : Recap will be done in English rather than in Harrison, which would take ALOT of time to type and also which might confuse some of my readers. Call me if you want me to tell it to you in Harrison -- I love to speak Harrison.)

"Mama, is it 9 o'clock? (Mama : "No, it is 8 o'clock. We know that because this black line right here (the hour hand on the clock in his room) is pointing to the number 8.") Oh. It is 8 o'clock. I go to bed at 8 o'clock. Hewitt goes to bed at 9 o'clock. (Mama : "No, Hewitt is already asleep, he went to bed before 8 o'clock.") Oh. I go to bed at 8 o'clock. Hewitt does not go to bed at 9 o'clock. Pee and penis and potty all start with P. And so does Preston. Dada saw a bug. It was a grasshopper. It was in the garage. It was gross. It was a mosquito. Mosquitos bite. Chiggers also bite. We saw ants in the garden. There is a fort in my backyard. The workers will come back tomorrow to finish it and then the house will have walls. Me and Grandaddy and Hewitt got in the fort today. Grandaddy went to the store. He went to get gas and some flip flops. I have flip flops. They are green. Hewitt does not have flip flops. He is too little. He has other shoes. I have fast running shoes and Hewitt has fast running shoes. Tigers like to play with toys. I saw a picture of a tiger playing with a ball. Tigers lick. Dogs lick. Boys lick. Lizards lick. Lions do not lick. Bears do not lick. Tigers lick like this (insert rapid licking). Lizards lick like this (insert more rapid licking). Some people lick ice cream. They put it in a thing with a hole (an ice cream cone) and lick it. I do not lick ice cream. I bite it with my teeth. Lions do not lick. Lions roar. Bears do not lick. Bears bite. Bears and lions bite food. I roared like a lion at school. I woke Grant up. He cried. One day I did not roar like a lion and I let Grant sleep and he did not cry. If you listen to the teacher at school you get a sticker. Dada is in New York. Today I saw a fish that had this (insert waving hand motion) on its head and this (insert waving hand motion) on its tail. Do you know what it was called? A lion fish. A lion fish goes fast like this (insert fast swimming motion). A whale shark goes slow. It goes like this (insert slow swimming motion). Sometimes fish do not move. They are scared. When they are afraid, they are still and they try to hide. But then we find them and we point at them and they move. (We took a family field trip to the pet store today, where we did see a lion fish and where we did point to some fish that thought they were hiding.) Hewitt saw dogs at the store. Hewitt thought he saw a dog when we were in the car after school but it was a school bus. Silly Hewitt. That was funny. Hewitt is funny. Juh-juh-jellyfish. Juh-juh-jellybean. Juh-juh-jelly. Juh-juh-Jonathon (a boy from school). Juh-juh-Genady (another boy from school). Llama rhymes with Mama. What fish rhymes with Harrison? (A very good question, son, what fish does rhyme with Harrison?) Larrison. Larrison rhymes with Harrison. (True, but...) Today Emilee and Tre (kids from school) put paint in their mouth and Ms. Marvi came over and took the paint away and washed their faces. They did not get to paint anymore. I did not put paint in my mouth. Jonathan and me painted a giraffe today. We painted it orange. Mama, is it 9 o'clock now? (Mama : "Almost.") Sometimes I ride on Dada's bike and sometimes I ride on my bike. I go fast on my bike.
I go fast like this (insert really fast bike riding motions). I ride my bike and get exercise. At school sometimes I ride my bike on the grass and sometimes on the track. I saw a man riding his bike in the street. I saw a man with a scooter-bike. I saw a cat running across the street. It was running fast like this (insert fast airplane-take-off hand motion). Me and Grandaddy rode a bike. I rode in the front and he rode in the back (Harrison's bike seat is on the front of Chris' bike -- mounted to the handlebars). We rode Dada's bike. We went to the playground. There was a party there. There was not a bear there."

After 45 supremely entertaining minutes of this, I finally interrupted and said, "Harrison, honey, it is late now, so it is time for you to sleep. You have lots of interesting things to talk about, and I have really enjoyed hearing you tell me so much. Thank you for sharing with me -- I like to hear you talk. Will you tell me more tomorrow?" He said, "Yes, Mama. Okay. Goodnight!"

No comments:

Post a Comment