Monday, September 21, 2009

What Kid Doesn't Like Macaroni and Cheese?

Mine! Unbelievable! His two favorite things in the world are "noo-noo" (noodles) and "deeze" (cheese), but put them together and he's not interested.

Harrison and I went to CostCo after school one day last week, and before I knew it, he had talked me into buying a 5-pound bag of shredded cheddar (an excellent deal, of course...). So since then I've been looking for ways to increase our already-high cheese intake, and homemade macaroni and cheese seemed like a good idea!

Harrison was a good little sous-chef -- carried the box of noo-noo from the pantry to the kitchen, helped me stir the milk while it heated (very dangerous for the spotless stovetop -- probably won't ask him for help with that again), and moved cups and cups of shredded deeze from the big measuring bowl to the hot milk pan one tiny handful at a time (Dada didn't know that -- surprise -- Harrison had his clean little hands all in our dinner!). Eventually our cheese sauce was ready and we stirred it into our noodles. Smart mama that I am, I pulled out a big scoop of plain noodles before adding the sauce, and that scoop turned out to be the only noodles Harrison wanted to eat! I guess he thought our macaroni and cheese was an arts-and-crafts project or something because he was happy to play in it but made horrible faces and shook his head and clamped his lips tight when I offered him a bite -- he made it seem like I was asking him to eat dirt (which he does eat) or playdoh (which he probably will eat whenever he gets the chance).

I asked him a series of questions to confirm the following, all of which should be indicators that a person will like macaroni and cheese...
  1. That he is a child.
  2. That he has tastebuds.
  3. That he is American.
The answers to all three questions were yes, so I just can't explain it. Oh, well! At least Chris and I liked our special treat, and my cheese inventory is much more reasonable now. :)

NEXT DAY UPDATE
Harrison conceeded that my macaroni and cheese was worth at least three bites at lunch today. Thank you, honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment